Thursday, July 23, 2009

... Huh? Wha?... What time is it?..... Just five more minutes.....

"Ugh! What has Chris been doing?!?" "Holy crap, Chris hasn't posted anything new since September of last year!!" "I'm going on a hunger strike until Chris posts a new blog." "Do you smell something in the apartment next door? Ew."

These are some of the things I've been hearing for a little while now. Despite the ubiquitous use of quotation marks in the preceding paragraph, these may not be verbatim. Nonetheless, here I am. I can only think that at this point, any post that I... well... post, will fail to meet your exceedingly high expectations. That said (written?), I give you a new post regarding my plans to better myself and my career.

Howard Clayton, the father of one of my best friends, Ishaq Clayton, once said something along the lines of, "It doesn't matter if they're small steps, as long as they're steps forward." I believe in this wholly and I try to apply it to various matters both in my career and my personal life as well. If you've read my blog (or the lack thereof) you may have noticed my headshot on the right-hand side. Well, it's changed. That's right, I had new headshots taken. Chris Macke of Mackephotography.com took these fabulous headshots for me and I've recently had them reproduced. Small steps. Next up is an attempt to do one of two things, hopefully both; find an agent and get some work. The latter may beget the former, but I would like both, regardless of the order in which they come to me.

This isn't to say that I've been completely devoid of anything creative. Not too long ago I performed a staged reading of Going After Cacciato by Romulus Linney. It was a wonderful experience and I got to work with acclaimed director Charles Ney from Texas State University whom I had heard so much of up to that point. He was a delight to work with and I hope to be a part of the full production when Working Man's Clothes puts it up around the fall of next year.

I'm currently writing this from the Austin Motel in, believe it, Austin, Texas where Beth and I are enjoying a much-needed-and-deserved vacation. I've already read one play, Things We Want, by Jonathan Marc Sherman, over coffee and beers. I bought four plays before we left and I'm looking forward to reading the others. Not only searching for monologues, I've found a desire to insert myself back into live theatre. The easiest way to start is to read, read, read. Hopefully, in between episodes of True Blood, I'll get more of that done. Things We Want was a good start. Onward.

Here's hoping for work I can be proud of, with an agent I can trust, through due diligence. Thanks for checking in on me.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Great post, Chris. I think you have made some great strides over the past year and I am optimistic that you can tackle what is ahead of you.

Take it all one step at a time... You can do it!

MosleyBear said...

Way to include the clayton clan into the blog sir...that's some good advice indeed. And shit, even if we have to step backwards a bit to go forward later, it's all good, life is like chess in that manner, or ballroom dancing?!?

Beth said...

More posts!! How about how acting life will be when you are a dad?!

Beth said...

Almost been a year since you posted...